Saturday, March 19, 2011

On the Avenue

There's a new place in town and we're loving it right from the get-go. The Avenue Cafe may just be the thing that finally puts the old Corbin & Reynolds/Monterey's space to fruitful use.

It's been open just about a month by now, and already we've experienced it every which way. We've been to a birthday party in the private party room, we've had dinner a couple of times, we've sat at the bar (the nicest in town, hands down) and we've had breakfast.  Each of these was its own experience, with distinct plusses and minuses, but all in all, it's a definite keeper, and we're rooting for George and Chris (the owner-brothers) for the long-haul. 

For those not in the know, these are the people who brought us Ocean Park Diner, just down the block. George and Chris have always had a loyal following, thanks to very decent diner fare, good prices and friendly service. Now they've taken that formula to the big time, and so far it's working out great.

For starters, they padded up the big room with sound absorbing decorator touches, so for the first time in memory, you can hear yourself think.  Not only have they upgraded the decor, they've laid in a sound track worthy of an intimate lounge.Very impressive.

For another thing, they've staffed up with professional waiters and busboys -- no kids (I inquired for my 14 year old) -- so the service is good.  With only one exception so far... breakfast this morning, a Saturday.

My theory is that the kitchen, which they took over from the previous owners, was not designed for short order. It was designed for dinner, which is a much more leisurely operation. Drinks and appetizers buy the chef time for meal preparation that breakfast just doesn't, but I have faith in George and Chris. They'll figure it out because they want to do it right and they're in it for the long haul.  

As far as dinner goes, the Avenue Cafe is the first diner where I've ever ordered anything beyond a burger, turkey sandwich or eggs. On two Friday nights, I ordered first fish and veggies, and then chicken and veggies, and both times, was very happy. Not only that, but while you wait for your order, the fresh bread basket comes with a homemade trio of hummus, tapenade and garlic oil.  Yum!

Upstairs in the party room, the catering was equally if not more enjoyable. Attractively presented and well served, a great time was had by all.

The only part of the Avenue experience that I still have to get comfortable with is the bar. I'm having trouble getting past the diner menu, served with my pinot grigio or my husband's Macallan's 12 neat. But where there's a will, there's a way, and it's just sure to be just a matter of time before I'm settled in on my bar stool.

In fact, the place is already starting to feel like home. This morning at breakfast, we had just been seated when two of our closest friends came in. And as soon as the four of us had resettled at another table, two more friends came in and joined us. What more could you want?

So cheers, George and Chris. Here's mud in your eye!

P.S.  George and Chris plan to turn Ocean Park into a bakery - look out, Country Boy.

1 comment:

  1. What more could I want? Accessibility and adherence to the laws regarding it... and "attitude" adjustment. Mother's Day breakfast, 10 am, upon introducing myself as the person who involved the Long Beach building department in correcting a "lockout" for those who cannot use the revolving door entrance and one other violation of building codes which meet ADA laws, and informing him that the ONE door he accepted as keeping "unlocked" was locked, in a loud and rude manner Chris told me not to come back if I couldn't use the revolving door!
    The first time I attempted to enter for brunch back in March, I was told by Manny that I had to leave my "scooter" outside! That there's no room for folks like me! Yet, I was always welcome at Ocean Park as cramped as it was!
    My personal experiences are not isolated incidents. Others who require "special" consideration have been turned off and turned away.
    You see, Judy Gross Gelfand, this is discriminatory behavior that folks like me fought for years to overcome. I too would like to feel comfortable and welcome to enjoy the otherwise gracious ambiance of the New Ocean Park!
    Anyone who knows me knows I will persist in "educating" these owner/managers with whatever resources are available to me until the attitudes change. It is my right to have access to facilities open to the rest of society.

    ReplyDelete