Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good Night, Irene

It has been forever since I've posted and I feel terribly guilty. But the truth is that while everyone else has been bemoaning how fast the summer is going, I was busy relishing every second of it right from the get-go. Rather than lamenting its passing, I have been focused single-mindedly on appreciating and enjoying the season while it is upon us. Net net: I have ignored my blogging responsibilities. And so, I take a moment tonight to note a few developments and will catch up on others once the Labor Day ritual has been performed.


Of course, the big news of the day is Tropical Storm Irene (formerly Hurricane Irene), which has kept us all glued to our TVs and most of us bound to our homes. As it was unfolding, I was already conscious of the "one day" appeal of this weather system; to wit, "one day you'll regale your grandchildren with tales of where you were and what you saw." We completely flounted the mandatory evacuation order and stayed put. I figured that we live in a big brick house that could withstand pretty much any gale-force wind, but it was never put to the test. Hurricane Irene was downgraded before she ever reach our shores.

We used the weekend as a party invitation. Bloody Marys yesterday, Mimosas today. What could be better? Truth be told, we suffered much more during the rain storm two weeks ago. But Irene was great for an adrenaline jolt, and while I don't wish for a repeat any time soon, we all came out just fine in the end.

That's all I've got for tonight. More later. Good night, Irene.



No comments:

Post a Comment