Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Best Kind of Surprise

There we were Friday night, enjoying the hospitality and company of our dear friends Erika and Phil Cabasino, and who should walk through the door but Jake! Phil Jr. had just picked him up from JFK and whisked him home just in time to surprise us for dinner. What a fabulous set up. Erika managed to keep a straight face the whole time, even while I recounted my conversation the previous night with Luke, when my antennae were raised by my suspicions that something was up. Was Jake getting a new tattoo? Shaving his head? Piercing his face? Eloping? Little did Darryl and I expect my shaggy, unshaven, thinner college freshman to materialize in the flesh. Voila!

Of course eating became the theme of the weekend, and our dinner at Mateo's ended up costing as much as Jake's plane ticket home (no joke). But it was worth it to have him home -- even though the waiter gave me a regular double espresso instead of a decaf, which kept me up all night.

Then today, I had a wonderful day in the city with my other closest friend, Phyllis. It was a real girls' day out on a beautiful fall Sunday.We walked from Penn Station up Ninth Avenue, had lunch in a terrific little restaurant open to the street, and then saw Relatively Speaking on Broadway - a collection of one-act plays by Ethan Coen, Elaine May and Woody Allen. What a hoot! Then a stroll back down Ninth Avenue, a cocktail at a pretty little bar along the way, and back onto the train.

What a  great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment