Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Bad Old Days

Now that summer is over, my antennae seem to be taking a break. I'm not feeling as tuned in as usual to the detritus that detracts from our LB experience. With one notable exception that's been on my mind since I started walking the boardwalk again after my knee surgery... the Hoffman Manor. 

Has anyone else noticed the cluster of men who began congregating on the boardwalk in front of the Hoffman Manor last summer? It doesn't bode well for a city that has spent 30 years pulling itself out of the depression that characterized our metropolis in the 60s and 70s.  SROs, section 8 housing, nursing homes... does that sound familiar?

Most people will agree that the Hoffman Manor is a far cry from a "seashore resort" or a "luxury retirement community," which is how it bills itself. But until now, it has not been any of the antisocial iterations that once populated our boardwalk. In my observation, the new residents of Hoffman Manor so far appear to be well mannered. But something doesn't feel right. There's been a change, and I'm not sure it's for the better. I'll say this much...it better not signal a return to the bad old days in good old LB.

No comments:

Post a Comment